Monday, September 22, 2008

That special moment called beginning!

I finished building my new work table a few days ago. Then I had no excuse for not beginning the six primed "wedding painting" pieces of masonite. Part of the work table was made from the library fund-rasing sign.
The first step is to scoop the joint compound onto the masonite.
Next, I use a plaster tool to smooth a thin coating of plaster over the surface of the masonite. I strive for a layer that is 1/16" to 1/8" thick. I used to tell people that it is like frosting a cake, but I really have no idea if that's true!
I try to leave some "natural" texture from the action of the smoothing tool. Above, I have started adding textures with doilies and rulers. Below, I have finished with letters, stamps and a few other things.
Now I must wait for about 48 to 72 hours so that the plaster is hardened and dry. I will sand the surface to smooth any sharp edges. Next I will paint two coatings of gloss polymer medium to make the plaster waterproof. That is necessary because I use watered acrylic paints to make my color layers.

No comments: